Built in 1616, and remodelled by Robert Adam in the 18th century, Kenwood once belonged to William Murray, who made the ownership of slaves in England illegal. A later tenant - the first Earl of Iveagh - bought the property in 1925, before bequeathing the estate and part of his art collection to the nation. The Ivy Bequest contains many important paintings by Rembrandt, Turner, Reynolds and Vermeer – whose ‘The Guitar Player’ holds pride of place. One of the most scenic spots in London, the estate is perched on Hampstead Heath, and is the ideal spot for a picnic or bracing walk.
Tel: 020 8348 1286
Entry Charges: Admission Free