The Horniman Museum first opened its doors in 1901, after being designed by the great Charles Harrison Townsend. It focuses on a combination of natural history, anthropology and musical instruments, with a reputation for its vast collection of taxidermied animals, an aquarium and a butterfly house.
The museum is named after Frederick John Horniman, inheritor of the largest tea company in the world at the time, Horniman’s Teas. It is from this inheritance that he collected such an eclectic range of items, all of which have been left on display since the museum first opened. There is also a 16 acre garden attached to the property, which is one of the most popular of its kind in the area.
Tel: 020 8699 1872
Daily 10am - 5.30pm, except 24 - 26 December, when we are closed.
The Aquarium is open from 10.30am - 5.30pm.
Tickets are required to see certain areas of the museum - please see website for details